REPORTS TO: Director of Behavioral Health
WORK WEEK: Anticipate 40 hours per week as needed to accomplish tasks
WAGE CLASSIFICATION: Exempt – Professional
OSHA RISK CLASSIFICATION: Medium
SUMMARY POSITION STATEMENT
The Behavioral Health Clinician, as part of the primary care treatment team, identified, triages and manages patients with medical and behavioral health problems within the primary care setting. In addition, the Behavioral Health Clinician will provide skill training through psycho-education and patient education strategies and will develop specific behavioral change plans for patients and behavioral health protocols for target populations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Formulate behavioral health interventions appropriate to a primary care setting and assist with implementation and monitoring of treatment plans.
- Assist primary health care providers in recognizing and treating mental disorders and psychosocial problems.
- Work as team with providers to coordinate care for patients.
- Assess the clinical status of patients referred by primary care providers through brief consultative contacts.
- Work with primary care team to triage patients and provide referrals to specialty care behavioral health as appropriate.
- Assist in the detection of “at risk” patients and development of plans to prevent further psychological or physical deterioration.
- Assist in preventing relapse or morbidity in conditions that tend to recur over time.
- Teach patients, families, and staff care, prevention, and treatment enhancement techniques.
- Provide targeted assessments and evaluations, including diagnostic impressions and the utilization of screening tools.
- Provide timely and succinct feedback regarding consultation findings and recommendations.
- Consistent attendance and punctuality is required and expected to work the hours set by PCHS and/or the schedule set by supervisor.
- Expected to complete required trainings such as CPR, Mandt, Mental Health First Aid and any others deemed necessary for this position.
TEAM DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes an active role on the primary care team
- Analyze population data to identify high leverage interventions within patient panels.
- Assist in facilitating coordination of care
- Assist in development and implementation of a plan of care to attain optimal patient function
- Effectively utilize electronic health record (EHR) to document nursing activity and manage patient population
- Works effectively and cooperatively with other members of Care Team
- Participates in Care Team training and learning activities
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Conduct groups in subjects related to physical and emotional health.
- Apply computer techniques to support EMR patient record entries.
- Serve as a member of site committees as requested.
- Attend and participate in meetings and activities as required.
- Understands and supports the concept of the Chronic Care Model.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Follow federal, state and local legal guidelines.
- Follow license criteria.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance.
Education: PhD or PsyD in clinical or counseling Psychology; Masters of Social Work from an accredited graduate school of social work; Masters or doctoral degree in psychology or related field from a regionally accredited university.
License: Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Licensed Professional Counselor or Licensed Psychological Associate preferred.
Experience: Must possess specialized experience which involves using psychological assessments, formulating diagnosis or treatment recommendations and providing counseling services to patients.
- Excellent working knowledge of behavioral medicine and evidence-based treatments for medical and mental health conditions.
- Ability to make quick and accurate clinical assessments of mental and behavioral conditions.
- High level of comfort in working with primary care medical providers using a consultative style.
- Ability to work through brief patient contacts, including via telephone and teleconferencing.
- Good knowledge of psycho-pharmacology.
- Ability to design and implement clinical pathways and protocols for treatment of selected mental and behavioral conditions.
- Ability to design effective psycho-education curricula and lead effective psycho-education classes.
- Ability to train and teach effective behavioral health interventions and the primary behavioral health model to medical practitioners and other behavioral health providers.
- Ability to work effectively as a team, interfacing with patients, primary care providers, consulting psychiatrist and mental health specialists, as well as with administrative and support staff.
- Ability to exercise balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent, and equitable manner.
- Ability to effectively represent CPHC’s interests in the community and maintain effective working relationship among co-workers, public, private, and professional groups.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention, brief and long term therapy processes.
- Knowledge of medical terms, abbreviations, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis and demonstrates this knowledge verbally and in writing.
- Will be held to productivity standards set by Supervisor and/or CMO.
- Expected to read and respond timely to emails through Outlook.
- Must be computer literate, proficient with Microsoft Office products and type a minimum of 45 words per minute.
- Pass a State-required background plus a pre-hire drug screen.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to assess patients as well as to record, prepare and communicate in writing, in person and by phone.
- Occasional bending, stooping, lifting, and stretching.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, and medical equipment.
- An individual in this position may be exposed to communicable diseases and other diseases common to health settings, Bloodborne pathogens, and physical hazards (e.g. needle sticks, etc.).
- Treat all co-workers and patients with dignity and respect.
- Project a professional manner and image.
- Adhere to ethical principles.
- Communicate professionally & effectively – focus on cooperation and win/win outcomes
- Serve as Community Liaison.
- Abide by the policies and procedures outlined by PCHS including the Employee Manual.
- Follow and enforce the mission of PCHS.
- Report any safety and/or health concerns to management as they become apparent.
- Expected to bring your best work and attitude to PCHS.
- Expected to handle complaints and grievances professionally, adhering to the employee manual and to uphold employee core values.
- Works closely with health care provider colleagues and core medical team.
- Receives direct supervision from Chief Medical Officer.
- Participate as a member of the health care team.
***PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING APPLICANT'S STATEMENT TO WHICH
YOU ARE AGREEING TO WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ***
I understand that the employer follows an "at will employment" policy, in that I or the employer may terminate my employment at any time, for any reason consistent with applicable state or federal law. I understand that this application is not a contract of employment. I understand that federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens; all persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity; failure to submit such proof will result in denial of employment. I understand this application will be active for a period of one year; after that time, if I wish to be considered for employment, I must submit a new application.
I voluntarily authorize any present or former employer, firm, school, hospital, university, or government agency and it's employees or agents to release any and all information concerning my former position to any prospective employer, or it's employees or agents, making a request for such information. I understand that the information may include, but is not necessarily limited to, performance reports, transcripts, job descriptions, disciplinary reports and opinions regarding my suitability for the position.
I voluntarily release and hold harmless former employers, schools, hospitals or government agencies, and their employees or agents from any and all claims, liabilities, or damages arising from the disclosure or release of information or opinions concerning my professional qualifications.
I certify that all the statements herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and understand that any falsification or willful omission shall be sufficient cause for dismissal or refusal of employment.
I agree to any pre-hire testing PCHS requires.
I am aware of and agree to a background check required by the Alaska Background Check Program and pre-hire drug screen. I acknowledge that I must clear both before a formal offer can be made by PCHS.