TITLE: Dental Assistant
REPORTS TO: Dental Director
WORK WEEK: Not to exceed 40 hours per week
WAGE CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
OSHA RISK CLASSIFICATION: High
SUMMARY POSITION STATEMENT
This purpose of this position is to provide chair-side and clinical assistance to providers, allowing for quality patient care and education to occur in the most efficient, appropriate manner possible.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Provide assistance to dentists and hygienists in 4-handed dentistry.
- Gather clinical data, test results for EPT, cold, etc. as directed for doctor’s review.
- Take radiographs, of diagnostic quality, as prescribed
- Enter findings, procedures and treatment plans into charting system for doctor’s review.
- Perform patient education and home care instructions.
- Clean and maintain operatory, patient areas and lab.
- Sterilize and process instruments as needed, with appropriate PPE.
- Call patients or other offices and care coordinator as needed for patient follow up.
This position requires a comprehensive knowledge of dental assisting techniques and procedures for general dentistry. It includes familiarity with OSHA requirements, modern dental materials and their storage and handling. The ability to respond to patients in an empathetic and professional manner is necessary.
- Provide assistance to dentists with knowledge of restorative procedures to include: stainless steel crowns, space maintainers, oral sedation, safety positioning devices, and positive behavior management.
- Provide assistance to Dentists with knowledge of preventative, restorative, endodontic, prosthetic and oral surgery procedures.
- To assist in the treatment and education of patients in the control and prevention of oral disease such as caries and periodontal disease through proper oral hygiene and regular professional care.
- Prepares operatories and equipment for necessary patient treatment prior to appointment and cleans and stocks operatory following appointment.
- Prepares patient for treatment, including the taking and processing of any and all necessary radiographs utilizing digital and electronic systems.
- Takes and records Health History Review prior to treatment, when necessary.
- Provides chair-side, four-handed assistance to the provider during all dental procedures.
- Under direction from the provider, records diagnosis, procedural codes, treatment notes, and treatment plans in the electronic patient chart.
- Provides patient with necessary education, including pre- and post-operative instructions.
- Sterilizes and maintains instruments and supplies according to clinic policy.
- Consistent attendance and punctuality is required and expected to work the hours set by PCHS and/or the schedule set by supervisor.
- Expected to complete required trainings such as CPR, Mandt, Mental Health First Aid and any others deemed necessary for this position.
- Other duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Comply with “Universal Precautions” for infection control.
- Participates in the clinic inventory control, reporting of supplies and equipment.
- Maintains operatories and main work areas, including routine cleaning and stocking of supplies.
- Updates patient information and charts as necessary, including input of data, radiographs, and the scanning of documents.
- Other duties as
- Practices with the scope of education, training, and personal capabilities.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Follows federal, state and local legal guidelines.
- Maintains HIPAA compliance.
- Maintains OSHA compliance.
- Reports and evidence of abuse or neglect to provider or appropriate official.
Education: Graduate from an accredited dental assisting program. Experience may substitute for education.
License: No license required.
Experience: Two years prior experience as a dental assistant including pediatric procedures. Would consider on-the-job training for the applicant with patient care experience and understanding of dental or medical terminology.
- The ability to effectively and efficiently meet the needs of patients.
- The ability to become proficient in the use of computerized imaging and electronic dental record program.
- Must be computer literate, proficient with Microsoft Office Products and be able to type 25 wpm.
- Expected to read and respond timely to emails through Outlook.
- The ability to communicate effectively with patients and staff.
- Possess and apply the skills necessary to effectively treat patients of all age groups, regardless of special needs of patient.
- Perform duties in a manner that is both professional and compassionate.
- Apply knowledge in a manner that allows the needs of each provider and therefore each patient to be met.
- Current CPR/BLS certification.
- Pass a state-required background plus a pre-hire drug screen.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, and dental equipment
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate in writing, in person and by phone
- An individual in this position may be exposed to communicable diseases and other diseases common to health care settings, blood borne pathogens, and physical hazards (e.g. needle sticks, etc.)
- May be occasional lifting and transferring of patients.
- Treat all co-workers and patients with dignity and respect
- Project a professional manner and image
- Adhere to ethical principals
- Communicate professionally and effectively
- Abide by the policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Serve as a Community Liaison
- Follow and enforce mission statement of organization
- Report any safety and/or health concerns to management as soon as they become apparent.
- Expected to bring your best work and attitude to PCHS.
- Expected to Assume Good Intent towards fellow employees.
- Expected to handle complaints and grievances professionally, adhering to the employee manual and to uphold employee core values.
- Acts as a member of the PCHS Healthcare Team in the provision of health services to individuals, families, and/or their communities. Works collaboratively with patients and their caregivers—to the extent preferred by each patient—as well as with other members of the PCHS Healthcare Team to accomplish shared goals within and across settings to achieve coordinated, high-quality care. Provides ongoing guidance, support and education to other members of the PCHS Healthcare Team as it pertains to ensuring effective, quality primary care for PCHS patients and their families.
- Communicates and coordinates with dental center staff as necessary
- Works closely with clinical dental assistants to assure that the needs of each patient are met
- Works under the direction and supervision of the Dental Director.
***PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING APPLICANT'S STATEMENT TO WHICH
YOU ARE AGREEING TO WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ***
I understand that the employer follows an "at will employment" policy, in that I or the employer may terminate my employment at any time, for any reason consistent with applicable state or federal law. I understand that this application is not a contract of employment. I understand that federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens; all persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity; failure to submit such proof will result in denial of employment. I understand this application will be active for a period of one year; after that time, if I wish to be considered for employment, I must submit a new application.
I voluntarily authorize any present or former employer, firm, school, hospital, university, or government agency and it's employees or agents to release any and all information concerning my former position to any prospective employer, or it's employees or agents, making a request for such information. I understand that the information may include, but is not necessarily limited to, performance reports, transcripts, job descriptions, disciplinary reports and opinions regarding my suitability for the position.
I voluntarily release and hold harmless former employers, schools, hospitals or government agencies, and their employees or agents from any and all claims, liabilities, or damages arising from the disclosure or release of information or opinions concerning my professional qualifications.
I am aware of and agree to a background check required by the Alaska Background Check Program and pre-hire drug screen. I acknowledge that I must clear both before a formal offer can be made by PCHS.
I certify that all the statements herein are true.