TITLE: Certified Medical Assistant
REPORTS TO: Nurse Manager oversight by Medical Director
WORK WEEK: Up to 40 hours per week
WAGE CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
OSHA RISK CLASSIFICATION: High
SUMMARY POSITION STATEMENT
This position exists to provide direct patient care, and to assist the health care provider in providing quality health care and work to improve health outcomes
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Evaluate and treat patients within the scope of training, and capabilities as a health care professional.
- Be a patient advocate.
- Offer support and assistance to the provider.
- Apply principles of aseptic technique and infection control.
- Comply with “Universal/Standard Precautions” for infection control.
- Prepare and maintain examination and treatment areas including restocking work areas.
- Prepare patient and assist with examinations, procedures and treatments.
- Prepare and administer medications and injections as directed by provider within scope.
- Recognize and respond to emergencies.
- Conduct patient education.
- Relay lab and/or radiology results to patients as directed by provider.
- Consistent attendance and punctuality is required and expected to work the hours set by PCHS and/or the schedule set by supervisor.
- Expected to complete required trainings such as CPR, Mandt, Mental Health First Aid and any others deemed necessary for this position.
TEAM DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume an active role on the primary care team
- Assist in facilitating coordination of care
- Effectively utilize electronic health record (EHR) to support care team, utilizing templates, documentation protocols and other available tools
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other members of Care Team
- Participates in Care Team training and learning activities
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Collect and process specimens.
- Coordinate patient care information with other health care providers.
- Clean, sterilize and maintain instruments, equipment, supplies and exam rooms.
- Maintain clinical supply inventory as directed.
- Maintain cleanliness in work areas as required.
- Understands and supports the concept of the Chronic Care Model and the Health Disparities Collaborative.
- Understands and supports the concept of the Patient Centered Medical Home and Meaningful Use including compliance with documentation requirements.
- Performs quality controls.
- Other duties as required.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Follow federal, state and local legal guidelines
- Follow license criteria when licensure applies
- Maintain HIPAA compliance
Education: Graduate from a nationally accredited school of nursing or medical assisting required
License: No license required. Medical Assistant Certification required
Experience: 2 years prior experience in a medical office
- Practice within the scope of education, training, and personal capabilities
- Maintain mandatory certification and classes (CPR, infection control, etc) as directed by certification requirements.
- Must be computer literate, proficient in Microsoft Office products and in computerized medical record data entry, and be able to type 25 wpm.
- Possess a basic understanding of anatomy and medical terminology
- Possess “people skills” with all age-groups and enjoy working in a health care setting
- Perform basic clerical functions.
- Expected to read and respond timely to emails via Outlook.
- Quarterly Assessment Competencies with Supervisor.
- Pass a state required background check and a pre-hire drug screen.
- Expected to abide by the professional and ethical standards set by the certification.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, and medical equipment
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate in writing, in person and by phone
- An individual in this position may be exposed to communicable diseases and other diseases common to health settings, blood-borne pathogens, and physical hazards (eg needle sticks, etc)
- Requires occasional lifting and transferring patients
- Treat all co-workers and patients with dignity and respect
- Project a professional manner and image
- Adhere to ethical principles
- Communicate professionally & effectively – focus on cooperation and win/win outcomes
- Serve as Community Liaison
- Abide by the policies and procedures outlined by PCHS including the Employee Manual
- Follow and enforce the mission of PCHS
- Report any safety and/or health concerns to management as soon as they become apparent
- Regular and timely attendance.
- Expected to bring your best work and attitude to PCHS.
- Expected to handle complaints and grievances professionally, adhering to the employee manual and to uphold employee core values.
- Coordinates with other clinic support staff
- Coordinates with medical providers
- Works under the direction of Nurse Team Leader and in close cooperation with providers, works with minimal supervision, within the framework of established procedures and protocols
- Does not supervise any other employee
***PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING APPLICANT'S STATEMENT TO WHICH
YOU ARE AGREEING TO WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ***
I understand that the employer follows an "at will employment" policy, in that I or the employer may terminate my employment at any time, for any reason consistent with applicable state or federal law. I understand that this application is not a contract of employment. I understand that federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens; all persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity; failure to submit such proof will result in denial of employment. I understand this application will be active for a period of one year; after that time, if I wish to be considered for employment, I must submit a new application.
I voluntarily authorize any present or former employer, firm, school, hospital, university, or government agency and it's employees or agents to release any and all information concerning my former position to any prospective employer, or it's employees or agents, making a request for such information. I understand that the information may include, but is not necessarily limited to, performance reports, transcripts, job descriptions, disciplinary reports and opinions regarding my suitability for the position.
I voluntarily release and hold harmless former employers, schools, hospitals or government agencies, and their employees or agents from any and all claims, liabilities, or damages arising from the disclosure or release of information or opinions concerning my professional qualifications.
I certify that all the statements herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and understand that any falsification or willful omission shall be sufficient cause for dismissal or refusal of employment.
I agree to any pre-hire testing PCHS requires.
I am aware of and agree to a background check required by the Alaska Background Check Program and pre-hire drug screen. I acknowledge that I must clear both before a formal offer can be made by PCHS.