TITLE: Dentist - in Kenai Alaska
REPORTS TO: Dental Director with oversight by Chief Medical Officer
WORK WEEK: Anticipate 40 Hours per week to accomplish tasks
WAGE CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
OSHA Classification: High
SUMMARY POSITION STATEMENT
This purpose of this position is to serve the dental center as a dental provider, diagnosing, planning for, and treating the needs of each patient.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Provides direct patient care by providing preventative, restorative, and emergency dental care as outlined by organization’s scope of service
- Provides treatment and education to patients with the goal of controlling and preventing oral health disease such as caries and periodontal disease
- Recognizes and responds to emergencies
- Delegates and monitors necessary duties (i.e. processing of radiographs, obtaining of vital signs) to clinical dental assistants, as appropriate
- Records diagnosis, procedural codes, treatment notes, and treatment plans in the patient chart.
- Provides patient with necessary education, including pre- and post-operative instructions
- Consistent attendance and punctuality is required and expected to work the hours set by PCHS and/or the schedule set by supervisor.
- Expected to complete required trainings such as CPR, Mandt, Mental Health First Aid and any others deemed necessary for this position.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
- Comply with “Universal Precautions” for infection control
- Reports dental center needs to appropriate parties (i.e. supplies, equipment maintenance)
- Communicates patient needs and requests with providers, clinical assistants, and administrative assistants
- Verifies that procedure codes and chart notes are correct
- Participates in a monthly peer-review program, as directed
- Other duties as required
- Practices with the scope of education, training, and personal capabilities
- Maintains confidentiality
- Follows federal, state and local legal guidelines
- Follows license criteria when licensure applies
- Maintains HIPAA compliance
- Maintains OSHA compliance
- Reports and evidence of abuse or neglect to provider or appropriate official
Education: Graduate from an accredited dental school
License: Possession of a current State of Alaska Dental License
Experience: Two years post-graduate experience in a dental clinic preferred. Ability to work with young children preferred.
- The ability to carry out functions and responsibilities of a Dentist, as described by the State of Alaska Department of Occupational Licensing and this document
- The ability to operate a computer system and apply basic computer skills
- The ability to become proficient in the use of computerized imaging and electronic dental record program
- The ability to communicate effectively with patients and staff
- Possess and apply the skills necessary to effectively treat patients of all age groups, regardless of special needs of patient
- Perform duties in a manner that is both professional and compassionate
- Apply knowledge in a manner that allows the needs of each provider and therefore each patient to be met
- Expected to read and respond timely to emails through Outlook.
- Must pass State required background check plus pre-hire drug screen.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, and dental equipment
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate in writing, in person and by phone
- An individual in this position may be exposed to communicable diseases and other diseases common to health care settings, blood borne pathogens, and physical hazards (e.g. needle sticks, etc.)
- May be occasional lifting and transferring of patients
- Treat all co-workers and patients with dignity and respect
- Project a professional manner and image
- Adhere to ethical principals
- Communicate professionally and effectively
- Abide by the policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Serve as a Community Liaison
- Abide by the policies and procedures outlined by PCHS including the Employee Manual.
- Follow and enforce mission of PCHS.
- Report any safety and/or health concerns to management as soon as they become apparent.
- Expected to bring your best work & attitude to PCHS.
- Expected to handle complaints and grievances professionally, adhering to the employee manual and to uphold employee core values.
- Acts as a member of the PCHS Healthcare Team in the provision of health services to individuals, families, and/or their communities. Works collaboratively with patients and their caregivers—to the extent preferred by each patient—as well as with other members of the PCHS Healthcare Team to accomplish shared goals within and across settings to achieve coordinated, high-quality care. Provides ongoing guidance, support and education to other members of the PCHS Healthcare Team as it pertains to ensuring effective, quality primary care for PCHS patients and their families.
- Communicates and coordinates with Dental Director, other providers, supervisors, and dental center staff as necessary.
- Works closely with clinical and administrative dental assistants to assure that the needs of the dental center are met.
- Works under the direction of the Dental Director and in close cooperation with Chief Operations Officer and other dental providers.
***PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING APPLICANT'S STATEMENT TO WHICH
YOU ARE AGREEING TO WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ***
I understand that the employer follows an "at will employment" policy, in that I or the employer may terminate my employment at any time, for any reason consistent with applicable state or federal law. I understand that this application is not a contract of employment. I understand that federal law prohibits the employment of unauthorized aliens; all persons hired must submit satisfactory proof of employment authorization and identity; failure to submit such proof will result in denial of employment. I understand this application will be active for a period of one year; after that time, if I wish to be considered for employment, I must submit a new application.
I voluntarily authorize any present or former employer, firm, school, hospital, university, or government agency and it's employees or agents to release any and all information concerning my former position to any prospective employer, or it's employees or agents, making a request for such information. I understand that the information may include, but is not necessarily limited to, performance reports, transcripts, job descriptions, disciplinary reports and opinions regarding my suitability for the position.
I voluntarily release and hold harmless former employers, schools, hospitals or government agencies, and their employees or agents from any and all claims, liabilities, or damages arising from the disclosure or release of information or opinions concerning my professional qualifications.
I certify that all the statements herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and understand that any falsification or willful omission shall be sufficient cause for dismissal or refusal of employment.
I agree to submit to any pre-hire testing PCHS requires.
I am aware of and agree to a background check required by the Alaska Background Check Program and pre-hire drug screen. I acknowledge that I must clear both before a formal offer can be made by PCHS.